Monday, March 26, 2007

Behind The Darkness

I have woken up in this dark, small room and I don’t know where I am. There are many questions I want to ask but there is nobody here to ask, simple questions like where am I? And how did I get here? Is this a set up or have I been kidnapped?
I used to hate it when people used the saying ‘Nothing is simple in life’ but now I have to agree with it because even if I have been kidnapped then why couldn’t they just have taken me an easier way?
From the middle of nowhere a voice began to boom all around me, it seems quite muffled and sounds very familiar. I know that voice but who is it? I managed to hear certain words from what they were saying,
“You….My Power….Days…Life!”
I started to think about the words I managed to hear from the voice. It didn’t fit. None of this was making sense and all this was starting to scare me. What if it is someone I am close to? What am I going to do? How can I get out of here? Will I see my family again?
That last thought put it all together, my Family. It all made sense now. This was all too real. It was him…..
I carefully brought myself to my feet and with the tips of my fingers I felt for any kind of door or grooves in the wall. I was looking for grooves so that I could tell if there was any way out or if there were any symbols on the wall. Yet I found nothing.
Just as I was about to give in something strange happened… the walls were moving away from me. Had I clicked some kind of button? Had I fainted? Maybe I was going crazy, I had to be imagining all this. It seemed like a bad dream gone too far.
The walls were getting further and further away from me and soon the room was the size of a football pitch.
I scrambled around looking for answers to my questions and soon I had to stop because in one of the corners of the room there was a glimmering light. It began to move slowly across the room. I couldn’t understand this, it was becoming really weird now.
The voice started again except this time it was much clearer, in fact it was so clear that I knew for a fact that it was him…
I call the man him because he is so bad that it disgusts me. He had been after my family for over a year now, he is a bad man who wanted revenge for something that had nothing to do with our family. We had to leave town because of him. He had sent threats written in blood and other horrible things. We contacted the police but they never found anything, not even a single fingerprint on the letter.
It got worse than that he even managed to set fire to our house. That is why we left town. We didn’t want him to find us but it looks like he found me.
I got so scared after I heard the voice booming, so scared that I had lost the nerve to speak and I just wanted to go home.
The voice stopped again but then just as I thought I would be left alone I heard something behind me then just after that I got a terrible pain down my neck. He has me.
“AARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGG!”
By Louise

3 comments:

Hugh O'Donnell said...

Louise,

VERY atmospheric: I like the way you concentrate on individual senses, eg. your sense of touch, regarding the moving wall; the voice in the darkness, etc.

A spooky piece indeed!

Christine McIntosh said...

If I may jump in here: this is so atmospheric, as Mr O'D says. If I were to add any further comment, it'd be to think about what tense you are using - vivid present/past/past historic. Clever tense use can enhance your writing still further, and you have begun to understand that.

Louise Mac Donald said...

The story didnt take me that long to write. thanks for the comments, just as i read over it there are a couple of things that need changed but im sure they will be ok.